Somali Referee Dropped from World Cup USA 2026: Omar Artan Misses Out on Tournament After United States Visa Denial
Quick Summary
Africa’s top referee from Somalia will not be allowed to officiate at the World Cup after he was refused entry to the USA, FIFA has confirmed.
Somalian referee Omar Artan to miss World Cup after US denies 34-year-old a visa to work during tournament; Artan was voted best referee in Africa in 2025, and was set to become the first Somali to referee at men’s World Cup finals
Omar Artan was set to become the first referee from Somalia at a World Cup, but he was forced to fly back to Istanbul after he was turned back at Miami International Airport. A FIFA spokesperson confirmed Artan, who was named the African federation’s (CAF) referee of the year in 2025, would miss out on the tournament.
Saying: “FIFA can confirm that match official Omar Abdulkadir Artan will be unable to train and officiate at the FIFA World Cup 2026 after he was denied entry into the United States. FIFA is not involved in host country immigration processes, including visa adjudications, and has been informed by authorities that Mr Artan’s status will not be changed at present. In line with previous FIFA events, a host government ultimately determines who receives a visa and who is admitted into their country.”
Despite FIFA’s comments, the world governing body does have a recent history of stepping in on accessibility matters. In 2023, they stripped Indonesia of hosting the U20 World Cup two months ahead of the tournament after the governor of Bali requested to ban Israel’s youth side from playing matches on the island.
In 2025, Gianni Infantino, the FIFA president, said: “It is important to clarify this. There are a lot of misconceptions out there. Everyone will be welcome in Canada, Mexico and the United States for the FIFA World Cup next year.” It is understood Artan believed he had a valid visa to work in the US even though Somalia are one of the countries on the US travel ban list.
The US Customs and Border Protection said Artan had undergone “additional inspection” on arrival on Saturday as officers looked to determine whether to let him into the country, but did not explain what had led to their decision. They added: “Following inspection, the traveller, a referee for the FIFA World Cup, was determined to be inadmissible due to vetting concerns and was denied entry.”
Even before FIFA’s confirmation, news of Artan’s denial of entry had been met with criticism. A Somali government representative, sports ministry advisor Ciise Aden Abshir, told AFP: “Omar is among Africa’s most respected referees and deserves the support of the entire football community.
“Denying him entry and preventing him from officiating harms not only him personally but also undermines football’s commitment to fairness, merit and the spirit of fair play.” FIFA released a statement on Artan’s behalf on Tuesday saying, “I would like to thank FIFA and CAF for all their support, and I promise to keep my refereeing levels up as I concentrate on the future. I want to thank the football family for their messages and wish my colleagues all the best success during the World Cup, and I look forward to joining them again in future competitions.”
Former England striker Ian Wright has been among the most prominent public figures in speaking out against Artan’s ban, addressing his two million Instagram followers in a video where he also called out other controversial incidents in the build-up to this summer’s tournament, which he branded a “World Cup of chaos”.
He said, “I’ve just read that the Somalian referee has been denied entry. Every few hours, it’s another story, another story about fans denied, players denied, officials denied, journalists denied, now refs. You know something, I’m laughing, but it’s not funny, and something has to be said. The most expensive tickets ever, expensive accommodation, and transport through the roof. It has to be said.
“Is this how the hosts behave, really, for the greatest game, the greatest tournament in the world? Are we not hearing more? After seeing how Qatar got dragged, are we not hearing more? Is this the spirit of football, really? You know who I feel for? I feel for the American fans who are desperate for this, how embarrassed they must be. This is a World Cup of chaos. Whoever wins this World Cup is going to have to go through some serious chaos to get this done.”
Courtesy: Sky Sports
Editorial
19 July 2026
ECOWAS Summit Update: Cocaine Bio is Scared of Handing the ECOWAS Chair to Senegal President Faye; Bio Prefers Anglophone to Francophone Successor!
19 July 2026
Commentary
19 July 2026
EBK’s Fake Freedom Won’t Distract EJ Win; His Arrest for Betraying Democracy Looms; Tinubu Happy to See EBK’s Back; Hope He Returns Sooner to Face Citizens
19 July 2026
Other News

17 August 2026
17 August 2026
Bitter Lessons Await Bio as He Stupidly Prepares SLPP Militias, Hezbollahs and Hamas to Fight Foreign Forces Poised to Remove Him Forcefully and Quickly

15 August 2026
15 August 2026
Global Partners Boycott of Parliament Clearest Sign to Signal End of Illegal Bio’s Era; First Time Foreign Envoys Snubbed Parliament; Bio is a Dead Man Walking

14 August 2026
14 August 2026
Imran T, Sierra Leone’s Popular Voice, is Bereaved; His Beloved Electoral Justice Mother, Mama Isa Turay, 98, Passed Away Peacefully Yesterday in Kambia

14 August 2026
14 August 2026
